Boat design for mul...

Notifications

Boat design for multiple water line  

td_ipak
(@td_ipak)

I had watched the hull design intersection technique and really enjoyed it. I am currently working on a speed boat with multiple water lines. Few water lines are connected to the front bow and some are not connected to the bow as shown in the

attached figure.
please give me some insight, I want to control waterline by either joining it to the front bow or leave it as shown in figure without disturbing my loft and front hull shape.

Topic Tags
28 Replies
Admin
Admin
(@benk)

Hey @td_ipak,

It shouldn't be that complicated. You need to create the base hull first and close it (create a body). Then you can create the waterline as new bodies that you will combine with the base hull.

Start with creating the base hull first and when you are done, attach the file and I'll show you how to do the rest.

27 Replies
td_ipak
(@td_ipak)

@benk
Thank you for your reply.
Here is the link for the model, it's so basic that if you have suggestion please let me know.
https://a360.co/3b96O8t
and I have attached a few photos of mould for your reference.

pS don't mind other things in the mould.

Admin
Admin
(@benk)

@td_ipak,

Here you go, I have attached the video with the technique. I hope you will like, you could do all kinds of cool stuff with it.

I think I'll make another video for YouTube.

Cheers.

td_ipak
(@td_ipak)

@benk
I don't know how to that you but I am really really grateful for your help. I am actually new to fusion so I literally invested my entire week to design the hull but still, I was struggling. Though the time investment really boosted my CAD skills, and I will continue this hard work. It's really really nice to get the exact help what I needed.
I will soon post my progress here.
Thanks a lot. 
And waiting for your youtube video.
Thanks.

td_ipak
(@td_ipak)

@benk
Hello benk, I tried your technique on a simple hull and it worked perfectly. For now, I am trying to do the same thing on my hull but sadly I can not thicken my hull skin to the required thickness, which is 1 inch in my case. I have attached .f3d file below. 
Please check the file and suggest me any techniques to convert it to solid model, or if there is any other way to construct a solid model for the same type of hull.
P.S I want to build a boat from the hull so it is really important for me.
Thank you.

https://a360.co/38DvXpO

Admin
Admin
(@benk)

@td_ipak

There is one thing that people forget to take into account when they try to use the Thicken tool and that is the Actual model size!

So, you need to make sure your model is big enough for 1 inch. If it's too small, you'll never succeed.

The next thing is sharp corners or extreme angles, which could also cause issues with the thicken tool.

Have you tried other thicknesses? like 0.1 or less?

td_ipak
(@td_ipak)

@benk
Yes, you are absolutely right. My hull contains sharp angles. As I had already mentioned I want to work on the existing hull so it contains those sharp angles.
And regarding small thickness value, yes it works if I give thickness value like 2-4mm but I need at least 10 mm.
So, fillet would work?
Please check my file and suggest whatever flaw you see.

Admin
Admin
(@benk)

@td_ipak

The best solution is to resize the model (Scale it up). It will save you a lot of trouble and extra steps to create the right thickness. That is also what I usually do, I always make sure that my model is big enough or I use real-life measurements.

If you are going to build this boat, then scale it up so it fits the real measurements and you will see a big difference when you will use the Thicken tool. 

Please let me know if it works, if not then I'll find another solution.

td_ipak
(@td_ipak)

@benk I hope the dimensions are similar to the existing hull mould. So scaling dimensions would only deviate me from making a 3D model which is similar to the existing model.
I want you to understand in this way: I am doing a reverse engineering design- dimensions that are taken in the sketch are somehow close to the existing product.
So please suggest me any other ideas

Admin
Admin
(@benk)

@td_ipak

I turned it into a closed body and as you can see in the picture, there are some places that are not flat and with a sharp angle.

You need to fix those areas first and then you will be able to do the thickening.

td_ipak
(@td_ipak)