Help with Variant H...

Notifications
Clear all

Help with Variant Helix

dr.statiris
Topic starter
(@dr-statiris)

Hi everyone! I hope you are well. My experience in 3d modeling is about 2 days long so far. I am trying to create a tourbine of my one design which needs to have grooves on the interior surfaces to create certain paths for the developing currents of air and work as a kind of guide for the air passing through.

I have attached a picture of a certical crossection of the tourbine. It consists of mainly two compartments, upper and lower. In the interior walls of the lower compartment I want to create protruding like grooves that at the topmost part of that compartment they are tight and with a quick helical step and as they travel to the lower end they gradually but quickly become  perpendicular to the direction of the first coils in the upper part.

I have tried to make a line pathway on the model to give you a rough idea of how the grooves must look like, but I can not sketch against the curved interior walls. So this line sketch is only for helping you understand the rough goal.

So I guess my question is: How do I create a helical pathway that can be variable in radius and for the radius to be determined by the walls of a curved object? And then to make that pathway into a feature that can be made into a protruding groove from the surface of that curved wall. It also needs to be able to be parametrically modified, because the grooves need to be tighened or relaxed with high precision, something I cannot do by hand. 

I hope this all is enough to carry across my issue. Thank you all in advance!

Note: In the image above you can see the model cut exactly in half. So imagine that it's a barrel like type of structure.

This is how it looks from the top:

And this is how it looks from the bottom:

Last thing I would like to ask, I might need to do the same for some exterior surfaces (as in convex and concave, too). I imagine there is not going to be any difference to the method I'll need to use for either surfaces. Correct?

Thanks again!

9 Replies
Ben K.
Admin
(@benk)

Hey @dr-statiris,

Could you please attach the f3d file?

Thanks.

dr.statiris
Topic starter
(@dr-statiris)

Sorry for my delay I had to be away for a bit. There you are

1 Reply
Ben K.
Admin
(@benk)

@dr-statiris

Greate, I'll check it out and get back to you.

dr.statiris
Topic starter
(@dr-statiris)

Thank you! 

So my thought was that I could achieve what I want if there is a way to make a coil with variable hitch within the turbine and then project it on the interior walls. Any thoughts? Or act better ideas?

1 Reply
Ben K.
Admin
(@benk)

dr.statiris
Topic starter
(@dr-statiris)

Wow! This is amazing! Thank you so much. So this is 80% of the wanted result. The other thing I'd like it to have is that the lower coils should fan wider and to become perpendicular to the "exhaust port" of the turbine.

How did you even achieve this one?

1 Reply
Ben K.
Admin
(@benk)

dr.statiris
Topic starter
(@dr-statiris)

Thank you so much!! Very helpful. I'm sorry for my late reply but my partner is in labour since yesterday and I'm away from the computer for most time of the day. 

So I had the same idea but the way I did it It was projecting on the upper wall (ceiling) of that compartment. I'm guessing 2 days of expertise must account for me using the right tool in the wrong way. I'll try to follow your instructions asap and let you know. 

On the other hand, do you have any idea on how to do the variable hitch on the coil that I need? I've read somewhere that I can basically create 2 or more different coils with different hitches and then basically connect them. Is that the best way?

Again thanks for the immense help. 

Last question, if I may. Are you Greek (or maybe Spanish) too? 🙂

1 Reply
Ben K.
Admin
(@benk)

@dr-statiris

Congrats on your partner - I wish you all the best 😃

Regarding the hitches, you will have to create a screencast and show me what you mean.

© 2020 All rights Reserved. Design by TESREG.com &
chiefDreamer.com

Follow Us

cross
linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram